- Although pedestrians have the right-of-way at crosswalks, use caution and make eye contact with drivers to make sure they have seen you and are stopping their vehicle.
- Texting or wearing headphones or earbuds and listening to music while walking impedes your hearing and can be distracting.
- Pedestrians may only cross in marked crosswalks. Crossing outside of a marked crosswalk—jaywalking—is an offense that can result in a police ticket for violations.
- Only cross with the green light or when the “walk” sign is activated. Pedestrian scrambles are in operation throughout Downtown Santa Monica. At these intersections, a pedestrian-only phase is included in the signal light cycle, allowing people on foot and bikes to cross in every direction, including diagonally, at the same time.
- Use extra care when crossing with children. Remember, drivers may not see little ones; hold their hands while crossing.
- Don’t assert the right of way with a fast-moving vehicle. Allow vehicles enough time to stop.