Visitors can find four scooter brands operating in Santa Monica – Lime, Bird, Lyft and Jump. These companies offer app-based electric scooters, Lyft and Jump also offer electric bikes as another option to get around.
How to Use an E-Scooter
Each company’s app varies. Please read the app’s detailed instructions for safe, proper use, but in general, here’s how it works:
- Download the app.
- Locate and unlock a scooter following prompts in the app. The average price to scoot is $1 to unlock, 15 cents per minute used.
- Push off with your foot to get going, then keep your feet on the footboard.
- For most scooters, control the throttle button with your right thumb and squeeze the brake with your left hand to slow down or stop.
- End your ride by parking safely and locking the scooter within the app.
Where to Park an E-Scooter
Once your ride is complete, park your e-scooter safely in one of the following areas:
- Designated e-scooter drop zone (pictured below)
- Bike rack area
- In the “furniture zone.” The furniture zone is the section of the sidewalk between the curb and the pedestrian through zone where street furniture, lighting, benches, utility poles, tree pits and bicycle racks live
E-Scooter Safety Guidelines
Rules to know before you go:
- Motorized scooters may be driven only by those with a valid driver’s license or instruction permit.
- Helmets are required if you are under 18 years of age and recommended for all ages.**
- Only one person per device is allowed; taking a passenger is prohibited.
- Motorized scooters must be driven on the road or in bike lanes, never on the sidewalk. Follow traffic rules and watch for obstructions and potholes. Scooters cannot be parked on the sidewalk in the way of pedestrian traffic.
- Motorized scooters may not be driven on beach bike paths, Santa Monica Pier, Third Street Promenade, Ocean Front Walk or in municipal parks, including Palisades Park.
- Night use of motorized scooters lacking proper lighting equipment, such as reflectors and a front light source, is illegal.
Note that a violation of these rules can result in a ticket.
**Pick up a FREE helmet at one of these Santa Monica Visitors Center Locations
Main Visitor Information Center
2427 Main Street
Santa Monica, CA 90405
Visitor Information Kiosk
Located in Palisades Park
1400 Ocean Avenue
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Pier Shop & Visitor Center
200 Santa Monica Pier
Santa Monica, CA 90401