Welcome to LA’s Annual Rube Goldberg Machine Contest and celebration of S.T.E.A.M. - Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math. This collision of disciplines is paving the future of innovation. Come learn, play and make a day of it at the Pier.
And the creative fun is not limited to the expo on the Pier deck; below at beach level our Aquarium gives visitors the opportunity to tinker with robotics and circuitry and experience cutting edge technology applied to under-the-sea exploration.
Admission: STEAM events on the Pier deck: FREE ; Aquarium admission: Free for children 12 and under; all others: $5 per person
Schedule of STEAM:
- 11:30 am – 2:00 pm: Rube Goldberg Machine Contest, Santa Monica Pier East Deck - Teams have taken DIY machine-building to new heights as they face off & compete for the best Rube Goldberg machine that Pour A Bowl of Cereal! Prize money & everlasting glory are on the line so come pick a champ & cheer them on.
- 11:30 am – 4:30 pm: STEAM Machines Expo, Pier East Deck
- 11:30 am – 5:00 pm: Santa Monica Pier Aquarium open to the public, 1600 Ocean Front Walk
- 2:00 – 3:30 pm: Path to Innovation - A panel of innovators, including Michelle Easter of NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Jeremy Selan of Valve virtual reality, Zaina Siyed high school robotics champion and founder of the FemSTEM scholarship, Brent Bushnell of Two Bit Circus, will discuss the challenges of their fields and the opportunities that await!
- 3:30 pm: Shark feeding and live presentation at the Aquarium