Black History Greens Festival
This event has expired. Please visit the Events Calendar for current listings.
Join Virginia Avenue Park (VAP) and the Parent Connection Group (PCG) in collaboration with Pico Branch Library and the Santa Monica Farmers Market to celebrate Black History Month at the 8th annual Black History Greens Festival. The event will take place on Saturday, March 4, 2023, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This year’s theme is We Are Family: Celebrating the Cultural Melting Pot of Black American History. The event will feature greens cooking demonstrations with Chefs Ewanda and Miche’le, book readings and giveaways, dance performances, Malik Books Bookmobile, vendors, health information, and special guest KJLH’s Arron “BOBO” Arnell will be the master of ceremonies.
The program will include:
- Greens Festival opening with a dance performance by South African dancers, Lindiwe Rose Dancer
- DJ music mixing by Mark Birotte
- Book reading of “Oh Charles” by author Bunny Meighan
- Spoken word performance by poet and author Cory “Besskepp” Cofer
- Malik Books Bookmobile’s wide selection of culturally diverse books for sale
- Live cooking demonstrations with Chefs Ewanda and Miche’le of family favorite greens recipes
- Pico Branch Library’s book giveaways and coloring activities
- Farmers Market and Master Gardeners who will give out seedlings
- A wide variety of resource booths and vendors
Guests are encouraged to bring picnic blankets and/or lawn chairs. Walking and biking are encouraged.
For more information call 310-458-8688 or visitsantamonica.gov/places/parks/virginia-avenue-park.